Tuesday 6 April 2010

Life After Me-Made-March


Now Me-Made-March is over I am refocussing on my commitment to Stash Bustin'. I haven't bought any new fabric in an age and I promise I have been diligently working through my stash for my recent projects, both that I have previously unveiled to you since the Stash Bustin' challenge was announced and those that are presently unfinished and subsequently 'secrets'. But a serious look at what's lurking in there, and some consideration as to appropriate uses/patterns is going to be necessary to achieve my target of having bugger-all left by the time packing up and moving to UK rocks around (in four months!). I also have a big pile of clothes that require some refashioning which I didn't feel was appropriate to work on during March, as it would involve trying on non-me-made clothes. Argueably, that's being a bit of a purist, but I wanted to do the challange thoroughly.

I must admit, I am sad that my Me-Made-March project has drawn to a close. Each day I enjoyed rising to the challenge of forming some sort of passable outfit from the random fruits of my sewing machine to more or less protect me from the elements and allow me to go about my business without recieving any 'crafty crazy lady' comments or stares. Somehow I think I avoided those, and I work with children and teenagers, and they can be harsh!

But although I did managed to keep myself covered and sane-looking in me-made clothes throughout March, looking at the documentation photos I was a bit disappointed at what I would consider a somewhat dull appearance at times. I want to not only cover myself vaguely appropriately by society's standards, but to look good consistantly by my standards. So, I announce to you, ladies and gentlemen: Me-Made-May!!!! That's right, I'm going to be doing it again, a whole month in handmade (excluding bras, socks, tights and shoes) but this time it's going to be bigger, brighter and more fun! A more summery climate will help of course, but I want to be proud of my daily handmade outfits and feel my personality has been more accurately reflected.

So, anyone want to join me? If you don't fancy the whole shebang, maybe you could attempt 'Me-Made-May-Lite' and wear at least one handmade garment each day throughout May? I would LOVE to have a partner/s. If you are interested, please leave a comment and we can form a support group! If you are tempted but not entirely convinced, just look at the photo above and see how much fun can be had in handmade clothes!

19 comments:

chrrristine said...

hey Zoe,
wow, me-made-May sounds great, and I hereby sign up for the light version! with almost a month to prepare I think it's something I can manage, and a great opportunity to make some new things. I just work so much better with deadlines. very excited!
xo

Uta said...

I'd love to join you in this! The "lite" version, please, and let's hope that April is a good sewing month, because I'm seriously lacking in some me-made departments (pants, blouses...) What a fun idea!

Alexandra said...

I would love to join but i have only just started sewing so not sure i could manage xx

Kaith Ladios said...

Your Me-Made-March Challenge success has so inspired me. You rock! I want to join in the May challenge!

frk.bustad said...

You're doing this hardcore! I'm really impressed by the me-made-march challenge, and inspired... I have to go through my April-schedule, but me-made-may lite is tempting... And doing that at the same time as stash bustin'? Woha, that'll be a great April. Biggest challenge: Not wearing trousers for a month, or sewing a pair of trousers?

Look forth to see your brighter version of me-made (although, looking back as I've just discovered your blog, March is impressing)!

Auset's Stitched Treasures said...

Hello Zoe,
I've followed you during the March challenge and found truly inspirational. I've got the stash busting button on my site. So far so good, though I've been tempted a few times. I think I'd like to try the "lite" version for May as well.
Angela

Anonymous said...

I would love to join you but I think even if I did the "lite" version, I do not have enough hand made items yet! I just started sewing in late February and am almost done with the third project. Maybe I can get on the ball and try to join you for Me-Made-May. I will try with what I have already finished and what I can finish this month!

Tasia said...

Hi Zoe,
I'll join you for Me-Made-May! Count me in for the Lite version. What a great idea, and like others have said, I have a month to get ready and fill those 'holes' in my wardrobe. Hope the weather is nice as I'll be wearing a lot of skirts and dresses if I don't master the art of pants soon :)
Tasia

Megan said...

Hi Zoe,

I would love to do me-made-may with you! This sounds like a great opportunity to reconsider many of the handmade items I set aside due to imperfection or just in-completion. I also agree with chrrristine-- I work better with deadlines :) Can't wait for May!

Tilly said...

Wish I could join you but I've only made four things so far... but I'll try to do a week in May (that gives me a few weeks to make three more things) in honour of your achievement!

Madelaine said...

Hi Zoe,

You have such an inspirational blog! Count me in for Me-Made-May-Lite. I just started sewing clothes for myself, but I've been a knitter for years, so I should be able to pull this off... Mind you, Canada's expecting our hottest summer in years, so I'd better get stitching. Knitwear likely won't be possible for too much longer!

Kat said...

Wow! Me made May sounds like it is going to be great. I may just have to join in on the lite version. I will have to see how many handmade clothing items I have first before I agree to join in. I think you did fantastic during March and I can't wait to see your May version too.

Jana said...

I'm absolutely interested in a "Lite" version of Me-Made-May. I think I could handle that as the AZ heat requires a uniform of knit tops and skirts, both of which I seem to be figuring out. I'm a terribly infrequent and rambly blogger, and I never seem to have a camera, but I promise I'd be good for you in May if you form a group for it! hehe.

Carlie said...

I think I'll have to join the Made-by-me Lite group, I am finding myself in more and more clothes made by me, but will have to include some refashions too.

My 2 littlies might be included too as they are getting a Made-by-Mum wardrobe for winter(here in Oz).

Loving the concept, and good on you for making it through Made-By-Me March :-)

Alishes said...

Hey Zoe,
count me in for the Me-Made-May-Lite. Should be fun, and inspiring to see others at it too.

Minnado said...

I would love to join in - i think I could manage the one item a day....will hopefully spur me on to make some trousers. Am sewing up my fabric swap fabric and will link results to you when complete.

Clare said...

I think I can manage one item per day - documenting it is going to be more of a challenge but I'll give it a go... yikes! I feel like I've just joined a cult! I'm glad you're doing this again, really enjoyed me-made-march.

jessica said...

I am totally on board with a Lite version! [although I agree, documenting daily will be challenging] The goal will definitely be one handmade/refashioned item per day ... it's nice that spring is on its way around here, I definitely have more handmade options for summery weather.

Amy said...

I'm still stash bustin' and would love to try out the Me Made May. I need to hurry up and sew some spring-type clothes though, lol :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...